1 person dead, many more hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning

Jeannette Daniel
April 3, 2017

One child is dead and at least five other children are hospitalized for apparent carbon-monoxide poisoning after they were found unconscious in the indoor-pool area of a MI hotel on Saturday.

A police officer and three other children were previously treated and released following the incident Saturday at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles. A seventh child was found unresponsive in a hotel room, police said.

Emergency crews said a high level of carbon monoxide was detected near the area where the children were found.

WSBT reported that one of the children has died.

A malfunctioning pool heater leaked carbon monoxide, leaving a child dead and others hospitalized.

Memorial Hospital of South Bend in IN, some 10 miles from the hotel in the southern MI city of Niles, told ABC News that the patients it is treating from the hotel are in critical condition.

MLive.com reports Wise said the carbon monoxide buildup was caused by the pool heater. Medics were eventually able to revive her.

Missing teen spotted with teacher in Oklahoma
At the time of the abduction, the school district had already terminated Cummins' teaching contract amid ongoing investigations. Edward Smart believes there is hope for Thomas and, with the right tools, she can move on with her life as well.


"I have never seen something like this in 30 years", Wise added.

Officials say that the carbon monoxide levels were at 800 parts per million, which is dangerously high - 50 parts per million is an acceptable level.

The hotel's spokesman said the incident was "isolated" and is now working closely with local authorities to handle the situation, according to NBC. Watts was pronounced dead on arrival.

Wise said a mechanical engineer would be investigating the matter further to officially confirm if it was the source of the leak.

Carbon monoxide levels taken in the hotel were 16 times the safe limit.

"Staff just happened to walk by the window and [see] the kids unresponsive on the deck, and then they reacted", he said.

The entire hotel had to be evacuated. "Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless".

Other reports by My Hot News

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER