Dozens killed in Afghan Shi'ite mosque attack

Laura Christensen
August 2, 2017

At least 30 people have been killed on Tuesday in an explosion at a minority Shia mosque in the western Afghan province of Herat, Al Jazeera quoted local sources as saying.

Officials initially said two attackers had been involved in the incident, but in a statement issued by the governor, he said only one had been involved.

Reuters also reported grenades were thrown during the attack, citing local police.

Shiite Muslims have remained a constant target of militant attacks across various parts of the country over the past few months.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yosuf Ahmadi said in a statement his group had nothing to do with the attack.

Photos posted on social media showed large crowds had gathered at the hospital.

Citadel grad to launch Friday for space station
Sixty-year-old Italian Nespoli is the most experienced of the new crew, having already spent 174 days in space. The launch will be shown live at 11:41 a.m., followed immediately by post-launch interviews.


Herat officials said in addition to those killed, over 60 people were wounded in the attack.

ISIS has been expanding its footprint in eastern Afghanistan and has recently claimed responsibility for several devastating attacks in Kabul. So-called Islamic State (IS) said it had carried out that attack.

Unlike the Taliban which has friends and foes among the global community, IS considers everyone their enemy and will keep attacking soft targets, he said.

Some 300 people were believed to be present at the mosque.

November past year saw a massive suicide blast kill at least 27 people and wound 64 at a Shiite mosque, again in the Afghan capital.

President Ashraf Ghani added that "terrorists can not create sectarian divisions among our people".

Other reports by My Hot News

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER