Child playing with stove caused deadly Bronx blaze, officials say

Anita Tucker
December 31, 2017

Mayor Bill De Blasio said the blaze would "rank as one of the worst losses of life to a fire in many, many years". Authorities said Friday that a small child playing with a stove in his first-floor kitchen appears to have sparked the blaze, which is the city's deadliest residential fire in decades.

Currently, there are four individuals in critical condition that are fighting for their lives in the hospital.

"We may lose others as well", he said.

The blaze broke out at a five-story building, a block from the grounds of the Bronx Zoo.

Firefighters respond to a deadly fire Thursday, Dec. 28, 2017, in the Bronx borough of NY.

While fleeing, she left the door open to the first-floor apartment, which caused the fire to then immediately spread up the stairs to the fifth floor in the building.

Some tenants of the building climbed down fire escapes, but the flames moved so fast that many never made it out of their apartments.

According to the information provided by the commissioner of the New York Fire Department, Daniel Nigro, the fire in a building in the Bronx has been the worst fire in 25 years in New York.

White Christmas Expected For Much Of New England
The record-breaking storm resulted in the first white Christmas for some Texans, according to the National Weather Service . On Christmas Day , wind gusts of 40 miles per hour to 50 miles per hour are possible, making it feel even colder.


The fire quickly spread upward in the five-story building.

Windows on some upper floors were smashed and blackened as the flames ripped through the building, which according to city records did not have an elevator. He added that it's not unusual for children to be fascinated by fire or rare for children to start them.

Batiz wrote on a Go Fund Me page that her mother, Maria Batiz, 57, called her at work to tell her that a fire had broken out in the building and she and the baby were trapped.

City officials said one of the children, a 1-year-old infant, was found in the bathtub with her mother.

"I don't know what to think". I ask all New Yorkers to keep them in your prayers, too. "The building is gone", he said. The communications officer for the Red Cross, Michael de Vulpillieres, said they gave out blankets, temporary housing, food, drinks and mental health care to residents who needed amid the "emotional" time. A fire in a home in another part of the Bronx killed 10 people, including nine children, in 2007.

The NYPD, FDNY, city Office of Emergency Managment, Bronx Borough President's Office and Mayor's Office are conducting a cloathing and coat drive for those affected by the fire at Church of Saint Martin of Tours on Crotona Avenue from 9 a.m.to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

A 28-year-old soldier who's been missing since the fire, Emmanuel Mensah, is desperately being sought by family and friends.

Other reports by My Hot News

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER