1 officer killed, 2 injured in Clinton shooting

Ashley Carr
March 8, 2018

In yet another shocking shooting incident, an unfortunate death of a Clinton County police officer occurred.

A shooting that left one police officer dead and two others injured in Missouri on Tuesday night started with a 911 phone call punctuated by screams.

A SWAT team entered the home at 12:10 a.m. Wednesday and found the suspect, 37-year-old James Waters, of Clinton, dead.

The man opened fire again on the officers killing 30-year old officer, Christopher Ryan Morton. Investigators say one of the officers were shot in the arm and the other in the shoulder.

There are multiple law enforcement agencies on scene, including the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

Ryan Gaydos is an editor for Fox News.

During the call two women were heard screaming in the background, the Kansas City Star reported. He then worked as a reserve officer until September 24, 2017, when he returned to the force full time. In August 2017, Gary Michael, was fatally shot after pulling over a driver for a traffic violation.

Mariners eye Ichiro return
He had a.255 batting average with three home runs and 20 RBIs, and his 27 pinch hits left him one shy of the single-season record. Ichiro has been working out in Japan and was expected to play there in 2018 unless he had an offer from Major League Baseball .

As three officers arrived at the home on West Grand River Street, a man started shooting with a semi-automatic rifle, and officers shot back in an attempt to arrest him. The other is being treated for what were described as minor injuries. Two other officers, whom have not been identified, were also shot but survived.

"Officer Christopher Ryan Morton gave the ultimate sacrifice last night, and I am grieved to hear of his passing".

Stosberg said the cause of the Waters death is under investigation.

Morton, who joined the Army in November 2005 and was twice deployed, returned in May 2014 from Afghanistan, where he served as a bridge crew member and radio communications manager.

Morton was a full-time officer from February 2015 through January 2017, when he became a reserve officer. "He was just one of those kind of guys", Oberkrom said.

The Lawrence Police Department tweeted, "As tragedy strikes the Clinton, Missouri Police Department for the second time in 7 months, we send our thoughts and prayers to the department and community. They're going to endure more", Sgt. Lowe said.

Other reports by My Hot News

Discuss This Article